Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Easter Sunday? - Timing of the Resurrection

Reader writes:

I just started reading the article Passover/Easter, and I found the part where it mentioned:

He went into the grave just before sunset. At sunset a High Shabbat began—the Feast of Unleavened Bread.

Seventy two hours later, just before sunset on Shabbat night, He arose from the dead—72 hours later!

The above statement is incorrect. In the Holy Bible, the Scripture says:

Mat 28:1 Now after the Sabbath, toward dawn on the first day of the week,1 Miryam from Mag¯dala and the other Miryam came to see the tomb. Footnote:1See Explanatory notes - First Day of the Week. Also Luke 24:1 and John 20:1.

LDL.net reply:

Here is Yedidah's response to your note:

Before sunset on the first day of the week in Hebrew context, since His days begin at sunset from creation, is Saturday night. "Towards dawn" the women came. Because they would not have come at night to put the spices on the body, they came at dawn...the first chance they got. But, His resurrection was at sunset, because He was in the grave 72 hours -- to fulfill the prophecy of Jonah...3 days and 3 nights...from Wed. night to Saturday night.

I will provide a little more:

This is a common doctrine that is taught in mainstream christianity that tries to justify a Sunday morning observance of Christ's resurrection. First of all, there absolutely is significance in his resurrection, however, according to scripture, there is no hint of us being commanded to observe it. On the contrary, in Lev. 23, it is outlined all the days that we should observe.

Now to answer your direct point on the timing, you will see in scripture that the pharisees were adamant about having him buried before sunset, or the coming feast day, which was the first day of unleavened bread. They did not want to bury him on a Holy Day, Mark 16:9. It is believed that he was buried before sunset on a Wednesday evening before sunset, thus, if he is actually to be in the tomb 3 days and 3 nights proper, then he would have been resurrected before sunset on the Saturday evening. There are also beliefs that he died and was buried on the Thursday.

Also, your point you make regarding them going to the tomb to find him gone on Sunday morning provides no proof of when he had risen. He could have easily been gone the night before and the circumstances would still be the same the next morning.

If your point is to prove an Easter observance, the reasoning may be faulty. We seriously need to be lead by the scriptures alone without being influenced, or led astray by popular teaching.

Despite what day of the week it was, we do know that he died and was buried on the 14th day of the first month of the original calendar and the most important point remains is that we are not commanded to observe his resurrection, but to memorialize his death which covers our sins. Anything outside of that is man-made.

But believe when I say, I will stand corrected if proven otherwise.

Reader reply:

I forgot to make it clear that I don't observe Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving and such. My request for clarification on the subject was sincerily to find out more/ understand more. Though my email was short and seem 'harsh'? forgive me if it sounded 'hars'. English is not my mother tounge.

After I sent the email to you, I also looked for another explanation on the same subject with other online ministry, just to get more insight (and I always re-check against the Word of Yahweh).

I'm admit that I was merely misunderstood it. Your explanation is correct.

A little suggestion if I may, please add your explanation below to the article, so that other readers (whom happen to be like my self ) will not misunderstand it.
Thank you for your time to answer my question.

May the grace and peace of our Father and Savior Yahushua Ha Mashiach be with us all.

2 comments:

  1. I need to ask a question to Yehdidah. I have failed to lacate how and where, so I came on this comment part.
    If any one comes across this note, go to my blog. I have a question and I need help.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do we need water baptism?

    ReplyDelete